Thursday, December 6, 2012

I'm home, and I have Show and Tell!

This visit home was easily the best I've had since moving away about 2 1/2 years ago. With the exception of those who just had to get dreadfully sick (the nerve of some people), I had plenty of time to see everyone I wanted to see. My family is just as low key and laid back as they were when I left them, so for most of the week I felt relaxed and content.

We spent one evening flipping through old photo albums and other mushy memorabilia. I now have some great pictures that will one day be in a scrapbook for the benefit of posterity. I also stumbled across some pure comedic gold: my first grade creative writing anthology. 

Oh my gosh, you guys. 

I don't remember writing a word of this stuff, which made it all the more hilarious to read out loud. As I rediscovered my 7 year-old mind, I also realized two things. 

1.) Small children appreciate life's small things in a big way.

2.) My tendency to start too many sentences with conjunctions goes back much farther than I thought.

For your entertainment and my self-deprecation, I have transcribed two of my very first stories below. My teacher was awesome enough to preserve all spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. I will do the same, with minimal commentary. 

Conner Prairie Visit
(This is a true story.)

When I visited Conner Prairie I got to carve wood three times! And I saw a man making potery. And then I went to this little tiny log cabin and on the seling I saw a lot of animals skin.  And there mugs were made of clay and we saw Dr. Campbell. And he had a large house! and (And, and, and, and...) we learned how they made clothing and then the best part of my life. (Of my LIFE,  you guys!) I bought a doll and a bonet and candy stick. 


At The Circus
(This is not a true story. Thank God.)

Once upon a time I went to the circus. I saw the clowns do silly things. And when I saw the lions, one of them begged me to get on his back! And when I got on his back he ran all over his cage. So I quickly got out and ran straight to the monkeys. But when I got to the monkeys, one of them grabbed by hand and swung me all over there cage, Hellllp! (I love that I drew out the L, not the E.) I said as they swung me around in circles, so I gragged (???) the bars quickly.  and got out fast and went to see the elephants, but when I got to the elephants, one of them caght me by his trunk, and picked me up I think now would be a good time to leave I said. (I don't think we had learned quotations marks yet.)


***

I really couldn't have found these at a better time. Not only was the whole immediate family around to crack up with me, but I appreciated finding these all the more now that writing is such a big part of my life. I saw how far I've come, and how much farther I have to go. Much, much farther. 

Gotta work on those conjunctions.

And those run-on sentences.

(See what I did there?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment