Saturday, January 12, 2013

To Not Suck, One Must First Suck

The next segment of my Best of 2012 series is temporarily on hold as I prepare my submission for the "That's A Pretty Good Excuse" Writing Retreat Scholarship. Now that my stomach has ceased its efforts to relocate elsewhere, the last-minute revisions are going well; however, the battle to stay positive goes on.

Writing is writing and unlike anything else, but some of the lessons I learned as a dancer are still applicable to the pursuit of writing. What can I say, like many perfectionists, I find myself drawn to things that are impossible to do perfectly. (They rarely pay well, either.) 

In addition to the solemn chanting of an especially relevant Ira Glass quote, I have some mantras from my dancing days that I've slightly reworked to help get me through the month:

1.) You are a beginner. Do not resent this phase. 

2.) You can only get out of said phase if you embrace your role as a student. Find teachers. Be taught. 

3.) You've only been doing this for a year and a half. Don't look down on yourself for not being an expert already. 

4.) Insecurity is a weakness, and a very childlike one at that. It's also human. Reconcile yourself to the idea that, in many ways, you're acting like someone your age. That's not a bad thing.  

5.) Resenting youth is as counter-productive as resenting beginner-hood. This is essentially a repeat of 2.) and 4.), but you cannot learn something if you think there's nothing left to learn.

6.) At least you aren't as bad as that other guy.

7.) Stop clicking around and get back to work.

2 comments:

  1. One of these days, I'll be proud to be able to say I went to high school with A. K. M. Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn something new every day.
    Patience is a virtue.
    Money does not buy happiness.
    Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete